Developing Young Leaders
Here at Emmanuel, the House system is an integral part of school life; each student is allocated to a house in Year 7 and remains in that house until they leave us. The house system encourages student leadership, healthy competition and demonstrates our school values of wisdom, hope, community and dignity. One such way in which we encourage student leadership is by electing house captains; a boy and girl chosen to represent their tutor group in each house. This year we heard some truly inspirational speeches from students who put themselves forward for this role. Tutors, students and HOH then came together to vote on their preferred house captains. We announced the house captains in a whole school act of worship at the end of the first half term and presented each house captain with a coloured tie, corresponding to their house colour.
The role of house captain is a position of responsibility within the school-wide community and therefore house captains are expected to display and develop positive leadership skills, good organisational skills and a supportive, caring and fair attitude. The house captains are given a range of different responsibilities
throughout the year which include:
• Helping at parent evenings
• Supporting with house AOW set up and movement of students
• Assisting with charity work by receiving, organising, counting and recording donations.
• Awarding reward certificates to students in their tutor group
• Emptying the recycling bins for their tutor room
• Leading and encouraging students to participate in inter-house events throughout the year
We are thoroughly looking forward to working with our new House Captain team for 2018-2019!